Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Christ's Parables for Today, by Sakae Kubo

I first heard the name, Sakae Kubo, when I was on sabbatical, teaching at Chester College in the United Kingdom. At the time he was the president of Newbold College. Steve Thompson asked me to be part of an education seminar there and offered his home for my family's weekend stay. Sakae was out of town, so I was not able to meet him. Steve was very impressed with Sakae's leadership. He also informed me that Dr. Kubo was not only an outstanding president, but that he had a wonderful wife; was the author of a Greek grammar, in addition to a number of Bible based books for the lay reader; a brilliant linguist; and a highly respected New Testament scholar. In addition, and most important to me, he was beloved and highly respected by students and faculty. Steve's admiration for Sakae made a deep impression.

When I learned that Sakae and Hatsumi had moved to Chico, I made it a point to get acquainted. To my delight, everything Steve Thompson had said was true. I consider it a great honor to have been given permission to serialize Sakae's book, Christ's Parables for Today, in Grace Connection, the Magazine.

No comments: